Thursday, April 10, 2014

Prayer Support

I was reminded again the other night about the importance of a support group for a Centering Prayer Practice.  Within a few months of starting my practice, I began looking for a group in my area with which to associate.  Through Contemplative Outreach I found and contacted the group leader and attempted to attend a meeting.  However, I arrived late and got spooked and did not try to attend again for about 1 1/2 years.  It did not help that the church where the group met was much different than what I was used to.   Nonetheless,  I started attending about a year ago and the time spent with those people is very special.  

As you probably already know, the contemplative path is marked with landmarks.  Some are clearly recognizable, and others are not as evident.  A group, with people at different stages on the path, is able to give encouragement and support when things become murky and even difficult. The contemplative life is not a sprint, but an ultra-marathon.  That is not to say that it is all drudgery.  I often catch a second wind which propels me on to the next milestone. It is a great encouragement to be in the race with others who spur me on when I am spent and want to stop.  In turn, hopefully, I can do the same for them.  The other night was one of those nights when I received great encouragement from the group. I have grown to really love those people, and you know what?  We never talk about the differences in our beliefs.  It just never comes up. 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment